Northern Academy of Coffee has a client base including retail, restaurants, bars and coffee shops, and travel. The academy incorporates M*A*D Training Solutions which was founded by Jon Skinner, who has been working in the hospitality and leisure sector since 1981.
Jon Skinner is one of the UK pioneers in professional barista training services, and in over 20 years has developed courses that are recognised by bodies such as The Speciality Coffee Association of Europe (SCAE) now (SCA), City & Guilds (C&G) and Beverage Service Association (BSA)
Gordon Howell BSc in hospitality management who, along with his wife Marie, owns and runs two coffee shops – Harlequins and The Attic. He also travels the world (Japan, China, Australia, USA, Canada and Europe) giving educational coffee talks.
- No7 in World brewers cup 2015
- UK Brewers Cup Champion 2015
- No3 in World Coffee in Good Spirits Championships in Nice, France 2013
- UK Coffee in Good Spirits Champion 2013
- UKBC Sensory Judge 2013&2014
- UKBC Northern Champion in 2012.
Why Choose Us
- Asked by SCA and BSA to train the trainers
- Own independent coffee shops that have operated for 20 years
- UKBC judging and competition experience and knowledge
- Over 40 years experience in the service sector
- SCA accreditation and diploma options
- Our courses are recognised by the SCA, BSA and City & Guilds
- Clients include Gaggia, Kimbo, Rombouts, John Lewis Partnership, Virgin Atlantic and Whittard of Chelsea
About our Academy
Our Mission is to deliver real and beneficial courses to individuals or businesses new or existing that are in pursuit of excellence.
Our Commitment: Your training will be carried out by Gordon or Jon and be hosted in one of the finest working coffee shops in the country. Our aim is to share knowledge and fuel your passion to do a better job.
Our courses are primarily targeted towards anyone who wants to make exceptional coffee. We have worked with clients such as coffee shops, restaurants, airlines, local colleges and home users.
Our Advice: Learn from the right people in the right location with the right accreditation. Make sure your first investment in training is the right one.
We run daily courses that normally have a duration of 6 hours. They will incorporate theory and practical skills, and use a variety of equipment. The courses are for small groups typically a maximum of 6 students to ensure everyone gets the most out of the course.
We can also develop a course training programme to meet an organisations specific goals and objectives.
We look forward to making delicious coffee with you!